By Dr. Susanne Bennett
1. Get 8 hours of uninterrupted deep sleep. Healthy sleep hygiene will quickly restore your energy, passion and physical stamina!
2. Eat plenty of good quality proteins such as turkey, chicken, eggs and nuts to increase the body’s serotonin levels (the “feel good” brain chemical)
3. Get early morning sunlight to turn off your melatonin production (hormone for sleep) and stimulate serotonin production. If you live in an area where there is reduced sun light during the winter months, try a full spectrum light box often used for “seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
4. Exercise regularly such as weight lifting and cardiovascular burst training. Preferably in the morning or early afternoon. Exercising late at night may rev up your body and you may have difficulty falling asleep.
5. Connect to nature by going outside and getting some fresh air. Try “grounding” yourself by walking barefoot on grass or on the beach.
6. Inhale organic essential oils to uplift your mood and energy. Try one of the following: basil, bergamot, clary sage, geranium, jasmine, lavender, neroli, patchouli, rose, and ylang ylang.
7. Belly Breathing or diaphragmatic breathing can help relieve tension and stress from the body and mind. When you breathe in, your abdomen extends out, and when you exhale your abdomen flattens. Try it for a few minutes in the morning and evening.
8. Eat less sugar to help relieve your anxiety and restlessness. High and low blood sugar levels can have a negative affect on your emotions and behaviors.
9. Quiet your mind for 10 minutes daily; sit up right, close your eyes, inhale and exhale through your nose by using the belly breathing technique. It can be a shortcut to bliss!
10. Share your day with your family, friends or even your pet. Communing with people and animals help relieve stress and bring joy to your life.